Invercargill Airport

Invercargill Airport is a domestic airport with daily flights to and from other New Zealand cities and local tourist destinations.

The airport, just 3km from the city centre, is 97.18% owned by Invercargill City Holdings Ltd, the Council-owned company which manages the council's trading companies. The remaining 2.82% of the shares were sold for $5600 to four southern Maori runanga - Oraka-Aparima (Colac Bay), Awarua (Bluff), Waihopai (Invercargill) and Hokonui (Gore).

Airport welcome sign - Nov 2014In July 2013 The Invercargill City Council unanimously passed a resolution directing Holdco to invest $13 million of capital to Invercargill Airport Limited to fund the terminal upgrade. 

Airport Chairman Joe O’Connell said the new terminal would be a single level building, on the same site as the current one, and would be constructed in three stages over approximately 20 months. When the terminal was built in 1964, he said, the city faced many of the same questions that the board faced today, and the result was a building that had lasted 50 years. “The board believes that it is a credit to the original design that the current building and expansion footprint had accommodated a change in annual passenger numbers from 44,000 at its opening in 1964 to 273,000 in 2012.”

Chloe Scala, a Southlander who was previously employed by Carnival Cruise Lines, was appointed General Manager in December 2010.
 

Related information: