The Building Division is responsible for the regulatory control of all building work (including plumbing) in the Invercargill/Bluff area as under the Building Act.

This is to ensure that substandard or inappropriate building materials or practices do not become a problem for building users, now or in the future. Among the division's duties and responsibilities are processing and issuing building consents, building inspections and issuing code compliance certificates.

2012 changes to Building Regulations

Please check these links

Join our mailing list

If you would like us to email you or your work place on a regular basis with details about the latest building news and industry related seminars then please email the Council at

Dangerous, insanitary and earthquake-prone buildings

Links to Council policies dealing with:

The consent process

Building Consents icon 150px Most building, plumbing and structural projects require a building consent or permit (written permission from the Council). This includes, for example, new buildings, alterations and extensions to existing buildings, building relocation, merry-go-rounds, marquees, scaffolding, swimming pools and spas. Building consents are concerned primarily with safety and are subject to national rules and regulations. However, buildings must also comply with the Resource Management Act and the District Plan and there may be circumstances when you will require a resource consent before you can be issued with a building consent. For more information:

Work that does not require consent

The application process

The Building Act allows the Invercargill City Council's Building Consents Authority up to 20 working days to either refuse or grant a building consent. When an application is received by the Council it is vetted for completeness and signed-off as "fit for the purpose of processing".
     The application is then entered into the Council's system and the 20 working day statutory clock commences. If the Council requires more information during processing, the application is suspended (statutory time clock stops) until the requested information is provided.
     Once the information is provided the time clock is restarted and processing continues. It is important for applicants to provide full details (as per the Council's checklists) with their applications. 

Departmental guide on building safety and warrants of fitness

More useful links

Related building information

  • Building Standards

    This page carries news about Building Standards.

    Read More
  • Building forms

    Read More
  • Building Act

    The current Building Act represented a major change for people working in the building industry.

    Read More
  • Building Sector News

    This is the home for the six most recent issues of Building Sector News, the monthly newsletter produced by the Building Division.

    Read More
  • Building fees and charges

    Building fees and charges

    Read More
  • Drainage

    Council drainage plans - currently free - can assist you or your registered drain-layer if you want to identify where the drains on a particular property run.

    Read More
  • Sustainable homes - free advice

    Free, impartial advice on sustainable building practice - and on cutting energy consumption - is available from the Council's Eco Design Advisor.

    Read More
  • Licensed Building Practitioners

    Restricted Building Work came into effect on March 1, 2012. It applies to most residential building or renovation work and only a Licensed Building Practitioner can undertake or supervise the work.

    Read More
  • LIM introduction

    A Land Information Memorandum (LIM) provides all the information that the Council has on record in relation to a particular property. Anyone can apply for a LIM; most applications come from potential property owners or their lawyers.

    Read More
  • Southern Building Controls Group

    Invercargill City Council has joined with all the southern councils to share information and resources.

    Read More
  • Substandard housing

    Complaints about property believed to be insanitary, dagnerous or earthquake-prone and are generally followed-up by staff from the Environmental Health or Building departments.

    Read More