The rating year begins on July 1 and ends on June 30 and is divided into four equal installments. With your first invoice for the year, you will receive a Rates Assessment Notice. This notice shows the total amount of rates you will pay for the entire rating year. Throughout the year, you will receive four rates invoices - one every three months. You can expect to receive your rates invoices about one month before the due date and this MUST be paid in full and on time.
Rates Assessment Notice
Summary of the different types of rates that you might see on your Rates Assessment Notice:
GENERAL RATE - paid by all ratepayers. This funds the operation of Environmental Health, Building Consents, Emergency Services, Grants, Total Mobility and Democratic Responsibility.
TARGETED RATES - paid by all ratepayers
- Cemeteries Rate: Funds the operation of Council's cemeteries.
- Libraries Rate: Funds the provision of library services in Invercargill City and Bluff.
- Parks and Reserves Rate: Funds the provision of parks and reserves in Invercargill City and Bluff.
- Pools Rate: Funds the provision of aquatic facilities in Invercargill City and Bluff.
- Regional Heritage Rate Funds a contribution to operate the Southland Museum and Art Gallery, Anderson Park Art Gallery, Bluff Maritime Museum, and other regional museums.
- Resource Management Rate: Funds the function of resource management.
- Roading Rate: Funds the provision of roading services.
- Waste Minimisation Service Fee: Provides for education on and administration of the Solid Waste Activity.
TARGETED RATES - paid only by the ratepayers receiving the specific service
- Bluff Community Board Rate: To fund costs within Bluff Community Board area.
- Community Centre Rate: To fund the costs of operating community centres in the area.
- Drainage Rate: Funds the provision of drainage collection within the serviced area. There are two categories - residential and non-residential.
- Economic Development Rate: To fund economic development initiatives. This rate is charged on commercial and industrial properties only.
- Business Development Rate. To fund the costs associated with the development of commercial areas.
- Footpaths Rate: Funds the provision of footpaths in the Invercargill and Bluff areas.
- Makarewa Drainage Rate: To fund costs in the Makarewa drainage area.
- Myross Bush Drainage Rate: To fund costs in the Myross Bush drainage area.
- Refuse Collection Rate: To fund provision of refuse removal and kerbside recycling in the serviced areas.
- Sewerage Rate: Funds the provision of sewage collection within the serviced area. Two categories - residential and non-residential.
- Street Lighting Rate: Funds the provision of street lighting in Invercargill and Bluff.
- Targeted Water Charge: Funds the extraordinary water consumption from metered non-residential consumers.
- Transport Rate: Funds the cost of passenger transport in the old Invercargill City Council area.
- Vibrant Invercargill Rate: To fund Vibrant Invercargill initiatives. This rate is charged on commercial and industrial properties in the Central Business District.
- Water Rate: Funds the provision of water supply services within the serviced area. Two categories - residential and non-residential.