The Council's Engineering Services Division is responsible for roading in and around Invercargill and Bluff. This section also includes application forms and information relating to vehicle crossings.

This includes road and footpath sealing, urban and rural vehicle crossings, road sweeping, road marking, ice gritting of roads, road closures, bridges, licence to occupy a road, street lights, traffic signals, pedestrian crossings, road and street signs, road safety, etc. The term "road" refers to the area outside the of the front property boundary to the opposite property boundary. It includes the frontage (the land between the boundary fence and kerb), footpath, ditches and carriageway.

Because of the nature and scale of these jobs the Council employs contractors to manage and oversee certain aspects of this work. Funding for maintenance and on-going upgrades is funded by Invercargill City Council rates and the NZ Transport Agency.

Managing roading assets

A Roading Asset Management Plan was adopted by the Invercargill City Council at its meeting on December 12, 2011. The plan is available at the following link (the document has been split into sections to ease downloading):


NZ Transport Agency
All state highways in the district are maintained by Transit NZ, now part of the NZ Transport Agency, through their contractor Opus International Consultants. The highways:

State Highway 1 (Tay street, Clyde Street, Bluff Highway, Gore Street-Stirling Point)
State Highway 6 (Dee Street, North Road)
State Highway 98 (Cooper's Corner eastwards) 
State Highway 99 (Cooper's Corner westwards)

  • Vehicle crossings

    People who wish to take a vehicle from the road on to their property must do so by use of a properly constructed vehicular crossing.

    Read More