The Council has social, economic, health, environmental and legislative obligations with respect to waste management.
Council provides a variety of services to the community for the appropriate disposal of solid waste:
- The bins - Urban properties in Invercargill and Bluff are provided with a kerbside collection service for recycling and rubbish. The yellow recycling bin is emptied fortnightly and the red rubbish bin is emptied weekly. NOTE: "The bins" link above provides additional information about the service; the picture link (below, right) takes you directly to the page which will tell you when to put out your bin(s).
- Central Business District Rubbish Collection - Invercargill's CBD is provided with a 3-times weekly kerbside rubbish collection service.
- The Garage Reuse Shop - if you are looking for pre-loved quality goods or have pre-loved goods to give away bring them down to the Garage.
- Invercargill and Bluff Transfer Stations - for the disposal of rubbish, hazardous waste, greenwaste and tyres.
- Free Recycle Centre - Check out Southland disAbilty Enterprises 24-7 drive through recycle centre located at 28 Ettrick Street, Invercargill.
- Education - Explore the wide range of waste-specific teaching resources available on the WasteNet Southland website - www.wastenet.org.nz
Invercargill and Bluff Transfer Station Fees and Charges
Waste Management Activity Plan 2008
The Council has developed a waste management plan which details how it plans to manage both Invercargill's and the region's waste: Waste Management Activity Plan 2008
Joint Southland Waste Plan 2004
The local councils (Environment Southland, Gore District Council, Invercargill City Council and Southland District Council) have agreed to work co-oporatively on waste management for the mutual benefit of all ratepayers: Southland Waste management Plan 2004.
WasteNet Southland is a joint initiative of the Invercargill City Council, Southland District Council and Gore District Council. WasteNet provides co-ordinated delivery of solid waste and recycling services within Southland. For more information on waste services in Southland visit www.wastenet.org.nz
What can you reduce, reuse, recycle or bin?
Check the The Orange Pages for information about how best to dispose of different types of materials - batteries, paint, books, shrink-wrap, concrete, gas cylinders, car bodies, fridges etc.The Orange Pages section lists aterials and then advises what local reuse, recycling and disposal options are available for each and gives contact/location details.