The Council has social, economic, health, environmental and legislative obligations with respect to waste management.
Council provides a variety of services to the community for the appropriate disposal of solid waste:
- The bins - Urban properties in Invercargill and Bluff are provided with a kerbside collection service for recycling and rubbish. The yellow recycling bin is emptied fortnightly and the red rubbish bin is emptied weekly.
- Central Business District Rubbish Collection - Invercargill's CBD is provided with a 3-times weekly kerbside rubbish collection service.
- The Garage Reuse Shop - if you are looking for pre-loved quality goods or have pre-loved goods to give away bring them down to the Garage.
- Invercargill and Bluff Transfer Stations - for the disposal of rubbish, hazardous waste, greenwaste and tyres.
- Free Recycle Centre - Check out Southland disAbilty Enterprises 24-7 drive-through recycle centre located at 28 Ettrick Street, Invercargill.
- Education - Explore the wide range of waste-specific teaching resources available on the WasteNet Southland website - www.wastenet.org.nz
Invercargill and Bluff Transfer Stations
- Fees and charges 2014-2015
- To apply to be an Account Holder at Invercargill Transfer Station please email the Senior Waste Officer. Note that the Council reserves the right to seek credit information on credit customers and to provide information to credit reference and debt collection companies as to the fact that a credit application has been made and (in case of debtors failing to meet their obligation) details of debtors and the debts.
- Hazardous materials are disposed of accordingly by the Council and any recycleable materials donated are sold at the privately-owned The Garage Recyling Shop. It is important to note that soil is not allowed in the green waste dumping area, and should be dumped with the general waste.
- Invercargill Transfer Station, Bond Street, Invercargill. Phone (03) 218 7939
Open every day except Christmas Day, New Year's Day and Good Friday
April 1 to September 30: Monday-Saturday 8am-5:30pm, Sunday 9am-5:30pm
October 1 to March 31: Monday-Saturday 8am-6pm, Sunday 9am-6pm
- Bluff Transfer Station, Suir Street, Bluff. Phone (03) 218 7938
Monday, Wednesday and Friday 2pm-4pm, Saturday 11am-2pm, Sunday 10am-12:30pm.
Closed public holidays
- Other waste services and service providers:
ICC Environmental Health Division
For abandoned vehicles, environmental hazards and waste, contact the Council's Environmental Health Division (03) 211 1777
Kerbside recyclable drop-off depot
Southland disAbility Enterprises, 28 Ettrick Street, Invercargill. Phone (03) 214 6188.
The Garage Recycling Shop (same hours as the Invercargill Transfer Station)
Address: Invercargill Transfer Station, Bond Street, Invercargill. Phone: (03) 214 7917
Waste Management plans
The Council has developed a waste management plan which details how it plans to manage both Invercargill's and the region's waste: Waste Management Activity Plan 2008. The local councils (Environment Southland, Gore District Council, Invercargill City Council and Southland District Council) have agreed to work co-oporatively on waste management for the mutual benefit of all ratepayers: Southland Waste Management Plan 2004.
WasteNet Southland is a joint initiative of the Invercargill City Council, Southland District Council and Gore District Council. WasteNet provides co-ordinated delivery of solid waste and recycling services within Southland. For more information on waste services in Southland visit www.wastenet.org.nz
What can you reduce, reuse, recycle or bin?
Check the The Orange Pages for information about how best to dispose of different types of materials - batteries, paint, books, shrink-wrap, concrete, gas cylinders, car bodies, fridges etc.The Orange Pages section lists aterials and then advises what local reuse, recycling and disposal options are available for each and gives contact/location details.