Russell Square
History
In 1922, Russell Square was developed by stumping the area, ploughing and re-sowing it out, followed by re-fencing and planting hedges around the perimeter. The total cost of this operation was £213.
The area was leased out for grazing and no further development carried out until 1933. At this stage, a double line of poplar trees was planted along the eastern side of the reserve and macrocarpa hedges planted to replace holly hedges, which had previously been planted on the northern side. New drains were installed and shrub and flower beds were provided. The area was opened up for public use.
The next major development was in 1980 when a group of local citizens formed the Russell Square Development Group. This community group was set up to improve facilities at Russell Square and was instrumental in upgrading and providing new play equipment along with the assistance of service clubs.
A $1,000 grant was received from Telethon ‘Year of the Child’ and $1,000 from the Sports and Recreation Fund. The Lions Club provided a fort as part of the redevelopment of Russell Square. Additional play equipment catering to various age groups was provided, along with removal and planting of vegetation and the provision of seats and picnic tables were all put on Russell Square.